The 6th Annual International Weight Stigma Conference is being held in Leeds, UK on 18-19 June, 2018. We are now accepting abstracts for oral presentations and posters, as well as session proposals including brief symposia, round tables, debates, and workshops. We are also interested in non-traditional submissions (e.g. media, performance, art). For more information about the conference, please visit: stigmaconference.com.
The Weight Stigma Conference is an inter-disciplinary event that brings together scholars and practitioners from a range of backgrounds (e.g., public health, government and public policy, psychology, medicine, sociology, allied health professions, education, sports and exercise science, social sciences, media studies, business, law, activism, and the lay public) to consider research, policy, rhetoric, and practice around the issue of weight stigma.
The 2018 Weight Stigma Conference theme is dedicated to the topic of weight stigma in public health. Public health policy and campaigns have the potential to promote health and wellbeing for all. However, in recent years, some policies and campaigns have been criticised as misguided, conflating health with body size, inappropriately singling out higher-weight people, or using blatantly stigmatising imagery.The goal of the conference will be to provide an opportunity for critical discussion about current practices and to seek strategies that will ultimately improve the development of equitable public health policies and campaigns.
We are accepting abstracts for sessions, oral presentations and posters on subjects related to weight stigma including, but not limited to:
- Weight stigma in public health
- Weight stigma in society
- Weight stigma in medical settings
- Weight stigma in research, science, and academia
- Weight stigma in the media
- Weight stigma across social identities
- Weight stigma and social justice
- Public policy implications
- Policies, interventions, and campaigns to reduce weight stigma
- Internalised weight stigma
- Impact of weight stigma on health and wellbeing
We are particularly interested in presentations related to this year’s theme. Presentations on new and emerging research in other areas pertaining to anti-fat bias are also welcome. Students are especially encouraged to submit proposals.
There are prizes for the best oral presentation and best poster.
- Symposia, workshops, and other sessions: 9th February
- Oral presentations: 23rd February
- Poster presentations: 30th March (poster decisions will be made on a rolling basis)
For more information and to submit an abstract, please visit https://stigmaconference.com/abstract-submission/